Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Art of Learning


What do you do when you need to learn something new? Are you the type that analysis the situation and carefully plans your approach, entry, and exit? Or do you just dive into something and figure it out as you go?

I am the later. With the exception of putting together IKEA furniture1, I typically analyze my approach ad nauseum and then execute the plan if I have any remaining time.  For really exciting plans, I typically finish the project like my indoor slackline, 3D printing hacks, and various other entertaining projects.

The problem about this project-is that I am not really excited about cleaning. I mean-that's the point. How do I get excited about it? Instead of my typical analytical phase where I could over analyze it, I went all in and started cleaning to gain experience. My son helped document with video.

Buy the end of this task I ended up with more questions than I had answers. I got the job done, but there were a lot of opportunities for improvement. Here are some of the questions that come to my mind:

  • Is there an optimal order to clean things? 
  • What cleaning solutions do I use? I tried a vinegar and dishwashing liquid combo but is that better than a store bought version?
  • Disposable vs reusable stuff. Paper towels vs sponges and rags. Disposable gloves vs reusable gloves. What is the most cost effective to the most time effective.
  • Why do I always feel the need to scratch my nose after putting on gloves?
  • What the hell do I do with the toilet bowl brush after cleaning the toilet?
  • The soap scum on the shower walls-is there a better way to remove that stuff?
  • Is there a better way to rinse off the shower walls?
  • Time and frequency. How often do you need to clean to maximize your time?
  • What exactly is that Orange and Black stuff anyway?

Until next time, I am start my research!

Cheers!
Jason (Testing Insanity) Mah

1BTW-I am kidding about the IKEA furniture. I try to memorize those instructions before assembly and I still assemble them incorrectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment